Lithium-Ion Batteries—Consider the Benefits
The type of battery that powers a forklift is chosen carefully. Specifications need to be followed for optimal compatibility with the forklift as well as the application requirements for its’ use. These are key indicators. But what about lithium-ion technology in the decision-making process? Let’s look at the benefits of lithium batteries and how they are revolutionizing motive power in the material handling industry.
Traditional lead-acid batteries are considered reliable and remain widely used in the industry. They have a lower initial cost and can provide a long, useful life. However, they require extensive care and caution that lithium technology eliminates. Lithium batteries offer faster charging, extended run time, and longer battery life. This technology is changing the way motive power is handled with significant convenience and cost savings.
Here are some of the benefits of using lithium-ion batteries.
- More flexibility due to decentralized charging stations
- No explosion hazard and no odors due to gassing
- Longer operating times and higher productivity due to fast and opportunity charging
- Maintenance-free as it does not have to be topped off with water
- No need for battery change-outs and additional spare batteries
- No battery change-out equipment needed. The battery stays in the vehicle during charging and throughout its useful life.
- No need for centralized battery rooms
- Very low operating costs combined with significant savings in electricity and water costs
- TCO (Total Costs of Ownership) - significantly reduced total lifetime costs
- Different battery capacities and voltages can be charged on the same charger
This infographic provides a quick look at the time and costs savings that add up to a lower TCO.
With the convenience and costs savings of lithium-ion being so significant, some manufacturers are integrating this technology with their equipment. An example is the Crown WP Series with V-Force 24-Volt Lithium-Ion Energy Storage System. The WP pallet jack has proven its durability and relaibility. Now it features extra efficiency and even longer run times with a lithium power option.
WP Series Pallet Jack with Lithium-Ion Energy
- Integrated on-board charging
- In-truck display showing battery levels and warnings
- The battery management system extends battery life by preventing abuse and operation outside of warrantied conditions
- Early warning alerts to protect and extend battery pack life
- Opportunity charging without risk of battery damage
Today, as speed and efficiency become more critical in meeting consumer demand, lithium batteries are part of the solution. Lithium-Ion battery systems help in attaining top results in a wide range of material handling applications. The cost savings start almost immediately, and you can replace current lead-acid batteries without any modification to new or existing lift trucks so you can experience cost savings practically from day one. To find out how lithium-ion batteries can provide both savings and convenience in operating your forklift fleet, CONTACT US at 570-655-2100.